Prev: Re: SG2 Platoon leader casualties Next: Re: SG2 Platoon leader casualties

Re: SG2 Platoon leader casualties

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@h...>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 08:45:52 -0500
Subject: Re: SG2 Platoon leader casualties

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 21:58:59 -0700, Yves Lefebvre <ivanohe@abacom.com>
wrote:

>I'm not sure about this. On page 16 Transfering Action : "For a
superior
>officer to transfer an activation, he must make a succesful
Communication
>action in the same way as a normal communications". So, to me, it look
like
>the Transfering Action is a special form of Communications action.

Except that you don't need to do a Communicate action to do a Transfer
Action
if the unit is within 6" of the squad. So, does this mean that a unit
that is
suppressed can't tell guys within 60 metres what to do, but he can tell
guys a
kilometre away what to do?

I just posted my interpretation, that the Transfer Action and the
Communicate
action are both listed separately, yet only the Communicate -- of the
two --
is specifically allowed to occur when the unit is suppressed. It is
incredibly
unclear, and I can see the other side of the coin. For a house rule, I'd
allow
a transfer action while suppressed, but I'd also either add a Reaction
Test
before it was allowed, or add a modifier to the communication roll. This
is
because there _should_ be an adverse effect for the commander being
suppressed.

>So this
>means that calling artillery can be done while suppressed as it fall
under
>the communicate action.

Yes, definitely, this is something that should be allowed. Historically
it
happened quite a lot. What is a Transfer Action representing? *shrug*
Not
sure, but I always assumed that the commander had to be a bit more aware
of
what his units were doing for a Transfer Action to work, hence the
reason that
it doesn't work while suppressed.

>Anyway, I see your point. It's open to interpretation I think...

Oh, definitely. It's a very unclear part of the rules. Unfortunately,
much of
the SG2 rulebook is unclear.

>All the game I played, we allow transfering action while suppressed.
I'm
>under the impression that preventing that will just increase by a big
>factor the "command squad in the corner" syndrome.

Not allowing it didn't increase the problem... because it's already a
big
problem anyway! *L* Seriously, yes, it will make players even more
likely to
move their commander out of harm's way. I have a house rule that makes
the
"commander in the corner" syndrome less likely. I will consider allowing
Transfer Actions while suppressed to work, too.

On the other hand, I see Tom's original post, too, and suppressing a
commander
ought to have an effect on the Transfer Action. Perhaps the problem is
that
even my house rule (where by a +1 communication roll is needed if the
commander is outside of LOS to the unit and further than 6") isn't nasty
enough.

My current house rule is this:
- Commander is within 6" of unit and in LOS, no communication roll is
needed
for a Transfer Action.
- Commander is within 6" of unit but out of LOS (such as a building or
hill
between the commander and the unit), a communication roll is needed for
Transfer Action.
- Commander is more than 6" away from the unit but is in LOS of the
unit, a
communication roll is needed for a Transfer Action.
- Commander is more than 6" away from the unit and is out of LOS of the
unit,
a communication roll at +1 is needed for a Transfer Action.

Maybe something else needs to be done. Note that in a heavy EW
environment,
communication rolls can be nasty so the commander is less likely to be
in the
corner. Of course, the EW rules aren't very clear either...

http://www.hyperbear.com

"The only normal people are the ones you don't know
well!" - Joe Ancis

Prev: Re: SG2 Platoon leader casualties Next: Re: SG2 Platoon leader casualties