Prev: Re: FMA Thrust 0.5 Next: DS 2: Diversifying terms

RE: FMA Thrust 0.5

From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@d...>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 13:59:50 +1000
Subject: RE: FMA Thrust 0.5

On Thursday, June 05, 2003 1:40 PM, Laserlight
[SMTP:laserlight@quixnet.net]
wrote:

> Brendan said:
> > Quality Die: 2 x (Turning ability + 1/2 thrust) ???
>
> Well, the simple way to do it is "2xThrust= die type" but that
> shortchanges the KV's advanced drive, so I had to split turning from
> total thrust.  I made it 1/2 thrust because turn-1 is more important
> (IMHO) than thrust-1

Can't think of a different mechanism at the moment.

> > Firepower Die: (Points Cost of Direct Fire Weapons / 40)
> > Each damage type (Beam, Pulsetorp/Railgun) is a separate weapon
> system.
>
> Ah, good idea.
>
> > Range Die
> >
> > 0-6": d4
> > 7-12": d6
> > 13-18": d8
> > 19-24": d10
> > 25-36": d12
>
> that last one is a 12" instead of the 6" of all the others.  I'd be
> happier with 30-36 = d12+1 (or d14, if you're afflicted with a mania
> for bizarre dice) .

For most FT weapons, there's no real difference between 30 and 36 max
range;
if the weapons out of range, it's out of range.

> > Combat Method:
> > Q + FP vs Range + Screen
> > Highest roll wins; determine hits based on higher of Range or Screen
> die type.
>
> screen really should be an upshift to range, though, shouldn't it?  Or
> better, a downshift to the Beam impact roll.

I thought using the Cover die from DSII is a better representation of
screens.  Screens don't change the number of die rolled due to range, so
it's best to keep the factors separate, and they're very helpful at
short
ranges (bigger die type than the range die).  Cuts down on doubling up
of an
advantage.

Brendan
'Neath Southern Skies - 37°47'S 144°56'E
http://home.pacific.net.au/~southernskies/

Prev: Re: FMA Thrust 0.5 Next: DS 2: Diversifying terms