Prev: Re: [Power Projection] Review Next: Re: [Power Projection] Website Updated 9 May 2003

Re: [FT] Re: [Power Projection] Review

From: Dominic Mooney <dom@c...>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 08:03:05 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] Re: [Power Projection] Review

On Sunday, May 11, 2003, at 14:50 Europe/London, devans@nebraska.edu
wrote:

> The reference to 'BG1' is curious, though. It sounds like they may be
> doing
> a scale or level system similar to other defenses, but I thought black
> globes came in only one variety, though you could vary the
> effectiveness.
> Wasn't the stutter-shutter effect to allow heat dissipation and
> outbound
> shots?

You can flicker the globe, but it also reduced the effectiveness of
outgoing fire (but yo didn't get the energy shunted into the globe as
it was assumed you could time your shots). If you don't flicker the
globe you drift inertially.

> In Dominic's own words from the Welcome To Power Projection,
> '...ironically, the changes we made to increase the Traveller feel
> ended up
> with rules that similar are to the Full Thrust: Fleet Book 2
> corrections,...'
>
> I always assume you end up sharing ideas accidently via shared play
> testers. ;->=

I'm not sure if that's the case - a big chunk of the changes came from
reference to the Classic Traveller game MayDay. However, there aren't
*that* many ways you can do vectors... in a useable way, that is.

I can remember reading FB1 just after I bought it (in a Burger King at
a Service Station on the M6 which I'd escaped to after a nightmare
journey back from a con - maybe after the first Dragonmeet recently?)
and suddenly realising that we'd come to the same solutions... strange,
but a nice feeling in some ways.

Cheers,

Dom

---------dom@cybergoths.u-net.com----------
  "Reality, is something that you rise above..
We don't see things as they are,  we see them
as we are."    Rich - Marillion - .com

Prev: Re: [Power Projection] Review Next: Re: [Power Projection] Website Updated 9 May 2003