Prev: Re: [SG2] Not OT at all! CNN "Urban Combat" Graphics Next: Swirling Genres

Re: [DS] Linking scenarios

From: glenn m wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 07:02:15 PST
Subject: Re: [DS] Linking scenarios

Great ideas, I won't need the FT stuff this time since my linked
scenarios will occur on a Balkanized planet where the Space forces are
limited due to being 'too valuable' as a 'force in being' and UNSC
interference.

Gracias,
Glenn

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 02:11:05 -0500 "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@magma.ca>
writes:
>As a few of the listers who attended may recall,
>at CampCons I and II, we used a linked scenario
>format (different in each case) to tie together
>FT, DS and SG games.
>
>The first time, the scenarios were tightly
>coupled, with results from one determining
>forces and some other parts of the others.
>
>The second time, they were a series of battles
>in the campaigns, but the results were summed
>together for the overall campaign.
>
>In the second case, we used a concept of
>reinforcement chits. Across the five battles, we
>had 4 chits per team. A chit was roughly
>equivalent to 10% increase in force. If played in
>the setup phase of a game, you automatically
>got it. If you waited to see if you could get away
>without it, then played it to bring on some
>cavalry, you had a 50% chance of it working (if
>not, you could not use it or any others in the
>scenario, but you could use them in subsequent
>ones.... ones left over after the last scenario
>were simply wasted).
>
>This tended to make the teams have to think a
>bit about where they committed their extra
>resources. A 10% increase in forces at a key
>point can be quite pivotal. 20% even moreso.
>(We limited to max 2 chits played in any one
>scenario).
>
>As it turned out, the SG game saw most of the
>chit play, although the DS game also saw some
>chit play. I think FT was just straight up, IIRC.
>
>This style of linked play makes for *very*
>interesting campaigns.
>
>Tomb
>
>PS - Sounds like I'd prefer Southampton to
>Portsmouth (no one shooting at me, beer and
>friendly women).
>
>PPS - If the Brit forces remarked this conflict
>wasn't against the enemies they'd trained
>against, that's only because they're headed to
>Basra not Paris....

>Mr. Thomas Barclay
>Software Developer & Systems Analyst
>thomas.barclay@stargrunt.ca

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com

Prev: Re: [SG2] Not OT at all! CNN "Urban Combat" Graphics Next: Swirling Genres