Prev: Re: Optional Rules Next: Re: Optional Rules

WW2 FMA

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 14:38:07 -0500
Subject: WW2 FMA

An esteemed lister said:
Your getting into murky waters there if you
think all mg's are the same.

[Tomb] True, though the distinction isn't as
large as it is sometimes played out to be.

German tactics evolved arround using the
squad MG 34 or later MG 42 as the main
killer, the riflemen where just there to
protect it.

[Tomb] Although this is true, lots of rifle
bullets killed people too. And there are
plenty of times your MG jams or has a
temporary stoppage or the MG gunners get
shot. The riflemen (and even those buggers
with the SMGs) come in handy then.

 Both being the first general purpose
machine guns (GPMG) and having high
rates of fire. The MG 42 1200rpm (rounds
per minute) or 20 a second, about
double the .30cal browning.

[Tomb] Which is relevant in how many
rounds it might put into a target, but you're
still trained to fire in bursts of 3-10 rounds
and you are still (even today) advised to
keep your fire in the area of 50-100 rpm.
That cyclic sounds really great, but if
you've had to carry the ammo boxes to
supply 1200 rounds worth of fire, you aren't
going to love it quite as much. And we still
(mostly) use rifles. Apparently equipping
everyone in the squad with an LMG or
GPMG (or even every second guy) isn't that
useful or practical.

[Tomb] As to the proposed stats: I think
you'll find your rifle impact way too low.
Given you've already got a fair chance to
miss if your target is half smart using
cover, or evading, or whatever, then a D6
vs. a D4 once you hit (especially since you
really need to score > 3x the D4 to take
the guy out) is going to lead to very long
and frustrating games. I think the rifles
should have D8 or D10 impact. And the MG
the same (in some cases, it's the same
bullets).

[Tomb] Also, there is a question of multiple
attacks or suppressing an area or
establishing fire lanes (danger spaces) that
are hazardous to cross. Machine guns are
very apt to do just this, but how does one
support it in game mechanics? Machine
guns are excellent in suppressive role and
this buys the guys with the SMGs and
grenades a chance to get in close and do
their work (like the Russians with a heavy
emphasis on the cheaply produced PPsh-
41).

Mr. Thomas Barclay
Software Developer & Systems Analyst
thomas.barclay@stargrunt.ca

Prev: Re: Optional Rules Next: Re: Optional Rules