Prev: RE: FMA Sheep Next: Re: FMA Sheep

Re: FT-Need help on a new weapon thought

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 21:03:56 +0100
Subject: Re: FT-Need help on a new weapon thought

BIF wrote:

 >>Unless I've missed something important this mass and cost should be
OK for
 >>an all-arc weapon. Note that this weapon actually inflicts on average
 >>*less* damage per shot than a C-mode Pulser does (3.2 pts/shot
against
 >>unscreened targets compared to 4.8 pts!), though it has better armour
 >>penetration.
 >
 >I was after a weapon with more dammage and a lot greater armour
penitration
 >capabilities,

In order to score more damage per shot than a Pulser-C, it needs to roll

more than one "modified MKP" die per shot. No big deal; just increase
the
mass accordingly - eg. I'd give a weapon firing 2 "modified MKP dice" a
tentative Mass 6 for the all-arc version, 4 for a 3-arc version and 3
for a
1-arc version. Tentative cost 5xMass.

 >with a single arc, for use with big warships as a konckout
 >close in punch, with dual mode PDS abilities.

Hm. If it is single-arc only, its PDS abilities will be very limited
since
the probability of the fighters actually being in that single arc is
rather
low.

 >I made a guess at 3 mass due to it being a multi shot  weapon aganst a
MKP`s
 >single shot.

This weapon is degraded by screens whereas the MKP isn't - and unless
velocities are quite low, this weapon isn't all that likely to get to
fire
more than once per battle anyway. In my experience short-range
single-arc
weapons tend to be effectively "single-shot" even if they theoretically
are
able to fire more than once :-/

Later,

Oerjan