Prev: My initial thoughts in general Re: totally untested SG 2 idea for comment Next: Re: [DSII] Unit Markings

Re: totally untested SG 2 idea for comment

From: glenn m wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 18:24:34 PST
Subject: Re: totally untested SG 2 idea for comment

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 09:38:22 +1100  Beth.Fulton@csiro.au writes:
>G'day,

<snip>
>> Yes, I am still looking at 'Mi-i-i-i-c-e In Spa-a-a-a-c-e!"	ideas.
>
>I very much like this idea, but I speak from experience when I say
>people
>will look at you oddly when you pull your figures out ;)

I use Nektons (frog/fish types) mostly in Starguard.  I'm used to it...

>> Would it reasonable (or not) in your corporate opinions to adjust
>the
>> following for the smaller figures?
>>
>> Movement (and terrain) effects
>
>Making them faster or slower?

Well,  I lean to the COW principle, faster but more steps equals no
change but I'd entertain real life examples...

>> Cover and Concealment
>
>Making it easier I presume?

Perhaps but every plus needs a minus...

>> Hidden units
>
>Why would this be different?

Dunno, just thinking in virtual reality...  sometimes called rambling.

>> Spotting
>
>Yep harder to spot them, but they should also suffer more too as they
>have
>to see past/over terrain pieces.

Ooohh, good point!

>> Personal armor
>
>Yes and no. Depends on how many solutions you think their tech has
>solved.

Well they were originally designed for Starguard and used adapted Nekton
Sonic Weapons but that would require a lot of rework in SG2 terms.
Hence, since  their unintentional mentors (Nektons) didn't wear armor so
they didn't.

>> Heavy Weapons systems
>
>Same as for personal armour. Though I do agree that they may be
>lighter
>simply because they have to be to be picked up by the smaller guys.
>Maybe
>the equivalent of human heavy is more a vehicle level thing.

Again, adapted Nekton tripod gauss gun (who got it from the Kitties from
Hell - Bast Nephi - B.N. have gauss rifles but it's not adaptable by
others) but for mice it would be a light cannon <grin>

Maybe wheeled stuff?

>> Target Size (how do get smaller than class 1 and should you?)
>
>Make it an open shift.

Yeah, that might work.

>> Firepower and Impact
>
>Maybe, maybe not. If you mean fire by them then they may still be able
>get off as much firepower it will just be at your ankles ;P
>
>As to impact its probably the same issue as for heavy weapons.
>
>> Close Assault
>
>I thought about that one a fair bit and this is what I came up for my
>"teddies in space" for close combat
>
>"The Horocca are not as skilled in close combat, due to their small
>size.
>Being small can be an advantage in the beginning of a fight, but it
>often
>becomes a disadvantage as the fight progresses. Consequently, if
>defending
>in CLOSE COMBAT the Horocca Quality Die (QD) is shifted UP1 for the
>first
>round of combat, but shifted DOWN1 for all subsequent rounds."
>
>Though I'm thinking of modifying this to be UP! only in the first
>round if
>defending.

Sounds good, my mice aren't real thrilled to fight "Big 'Uns" up close
and personal.  ambushes and such are better - "Nip them to death."  They
are a foe the tunneling insectoid Dreenoi absolutely hate...  6 foot
carniverous insectoids trying to tunnel out 1.5 tp 3.5 foot long mice
types... "Raiding" parties takes on a whole new meaning ("What is a
Geneva convention; and who are the Genevans?")

>> Artillery Fire
>
>Not sure about this one either.
>
>Great idea though (not like I'm biased) ;)
>
>Beth

Gracias,
Glenn

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com

Prev: My initial thoughts in general Re: totally untested SG 2 idea for comment Next: Re: [DSII] Unit Markings