Prev: [FH] Beth finally gets her html act together Next: Re: [FH] Beth finally gets her html act together

Re: The scale of the future was

From: Scott Siebold <gamers@a...>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 00:41:21 -0600
Subject: Re: The scale of the future was

>>I did use the FA fighter  for both scales manly due to the fighters
>>

>looking "better"  and costing less...
>
>I'm sure there were many reasons, Mr. Siebold; certainly figure
quality(and
>the rep thereafter) at the beginning ended up being a drain til the
end.
>The figures WERE expensive unless you compared size and complexity to
much
>of the competition, and you have to assume a lot of folks came to B5
Wars
>newbies. I certainly have never made a secret of how difficult I found
the

I see you fell into the trap Mr. Beast. The question is not how to use
the same rules for different scales
but what are you trying to simulate. If you are fighting an action where

you command one large ship or
several small ships per person then the original B5 is good. If you are
trying to simulate a large fleet
action then the FA scale (which is close enough to the GZG to allow
interplay in the same game) is
 a good idea. The greater detail the rules go into the fewer ships you
can command in a reasonable
time.

>rules to understand. I'm sure others can, if they continue OT, will,
make
>suggestions for the above list.
>
>Still, your fighter comment suggests some truth to Mr. Hillsgrove's
>comment.

You seem to misunderstand what I was implying with the fighters. If you
have ships in two scales and
the FA fighters LOOK good with both then I have no problem using the FA
fighters with B5. I also
am looking at fighters from other companies to integrate into a game
(Have some Starblazer fighters
I bought a few packages of). I go with my own fighter rules for the GZG
games though.

>>So for example:
>>

>***snip of ships lists including 449 ships and 248 stands of
fighters***

>Painted metal?!?!? *gasp* *choke* *searching for nitroglycerine*

Actually I have 831 ships and 579 fighter stands if you wish the
inventory I will mail it to you.
I placed a large order to AOG before it went out of business and plan to

start putting those
fleets on the paint schedule next year.

>>Historical minatures have been using duplicate lines in multiple scale
>>for many years
>>    Essex duplicates in 15mm and 25m for most of their lines
>>    Superior 1/1200 and 1/2400 scale ships
>>    Old Glory may have split off their 15mm off but it still made in
>>15mm and 25mm
>>

>And AD&D figs came out in 15mm, and though sought now, appear to have
been
>a failure, while no threat to the 25mm range.
>
>My impression is that now the Superior 1/1200 are mostly display models
>with many other companies focusing on 1/2400; I'm hoping to do that
with my

Lets see I have about 140 1/1200 ships in WWII and  500+ 1/2400 ships in

WWII
You can through in another 150+ pre dreadnoughts in 1/1200-1000 scale.
Now my friend has 1000 1/1200 ships for WWII but he started buying
before I did.
I can assure you that these ships have seen many battles at conventions
from Gencon IV to Little Wars X
(last Little Wars was about 5 years ago where I used them).

Don't forget about the 1/3000 scale which is also popular (I didn't get
into this scale as it was too close
to my 1/2400 scale).

>several of my large AoG ships, if I ever get them painted up. Not that
>1/1200-Dogger Bank on a quiet Sunday morning in an empty mall or
factory
>parking lot isn't a thing to behold...

There you go with the scale argument again and you are playing space
warfare. By your argument
my GZG fleet in Chicago can fire at your fleet in Nebraska at close
range and someone else's fleet
in England at medium range.

I did play in a true 1/1200  (1 inch = 100 yards) game in a field house
but most of my games were
played at 1 inch = 500 yards or 1 inch = 1000 yards.

>Have you ever tried doing FA with large B5 Wars ships?

I like to play battalion action SciFi at 1 to 1 scale (infantry is at 1
to 2 scale and armored infantry is
at  1 to 1 scale) and do it in 6mm(1/300 scale). I like to play skirmish

action SciFi in with about
50 figures per side and 25mm scale is good. The type of game can also
suggest the scale you use.

I'd be very interested to see the 25mm 1 to 1 battalion action that you
propose. My rough estimate
is 300 figures and 150 vehicles per side. You do still have that empty
mall you were talking about
to play in don't you?