Prev: Minnesota players? Next: [OFFICIAL-COMMERCIAL] More Slammers figs out!

Re: Fighters that bad? Re: Soap bubbles?

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@h...>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 16:02:11 -0600
Subject: Re: Fighters that bad? Re: Soap bubbles?

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:47:00 -0500, "Damond Walker"
<dwalker@syncretic.com>
wrote:

>Sorry to bust in on this thread but how, exactly, are fighters broken?

Yes, they are.

They aren't that big of an issue in the numbers found in the fleet
books, but
the moment you start to build your own custom designs you find that
fighters
are broken. A swarm of around 20 fighter squadrons can take out anything
in
the fleet books, and pretty much anything custom built except ships
armed with
lots of scatterguns (which, too, are broken, at least as far as their
points
are concerned).

Fighters are worth their points as individual squadrons, but once you
start
massing squadrons against ships with PDS you'll overwhelm the PDS ships.

>The only problem I can see with fighters is the
>relative lack of area defense FCons in most FB1 fleets.

You can't build custom ships with enough PDS for the points that can
withstand
a custom soap bubble carrier and the attendant fighters. This shows
itself at
anywhere from 10+ to 15+ fighter squadrons on the table.

>SML/Rs...now there's a problem.  :)

Folks thought they were overly powerful when they first came out. That's
no
longer the prevailing sentiment.

Allan Goodall		     http://www.hyperbear.com

"We come into the world and take our chances
 Fate is just the weight of circumstances
 That's the way that Lady Luck dances
 Roll the bones." - N. Peart

Prev: Minnesota players? Next: [OFFICIAL-COMMERCIAL] More Slammers figs out!