Prev: Re: Infantry MIA from DeLuxe Ogre Next: Re: Micro Scale Tank turrets

Re: Soap bubbles?

From: "Eric Foley" <stiltman@t...>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 23:05:13 -0800
Subject: Re: Soap bubbles?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 10:06 PM

> If, which Stiltman kinda suggested, you *must* use scatterguns to be
able
> to handle enemy fighters, and you *must* use plasma bolts to allow
your
> fighters to be of any use against enemy scatterguns... then the game
isn't
> very generic at all, and the space for creativity is getting rather
> restricted :-(

Yeah... in my  games, if they're not bringing scatterguns, they _are_
most
probably bringing enough PDS that if you don't have either soapy levels
of
fighters or plasma bolts to back them up, they're probably not going to
be
too effective.	If you're playing scenario type games where nobody's got
ADFC and the fighter numbers aren't too great, then you can perfectly
well
justify having a "carrier group" where there's only a few fighters and
you
don't have to pile them on for them to be useful at all.  But in custom
games, almost everyone's most likely going to figure out how to use an
area
defense formation eventually, and the usefulness of fighters in anything
but
huge numbers gets pretty limited indeed.

If there were a way to make it so that _any_ number of fighters could
theoretically be useful, I'd be all for it.  I don't know how to do that
without completely rewriting the rules for how point defense engages
fighters in combat, though.

(aka Stilt Man)

Prev: Re: Infantry MIA from DeLuxe Ogre Next: Re: Micro Scale Tank turrets