Prev: Re: DS: Walkers Next: Re: DS: Walkers

Re: DS: Walkers

From: Flak Magnet <flakmagnet@t...>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 16:41:20 -0500
Subject: Re: DS: Walkers

I noticed the same thing.  Horribly easy to kill, but one could design a
VTOL
with quite a bit of punch, lots of armor (for a VTOL) and more speed
than it
would ever need...

Basically, the VTOL hides on every turn he didn't have the initiative or
"free shot" at an NME's back, when he did... zoom in and blast away,
zipping
off at his earliest opportunity before the enemy could bring weapons to
bear.
It wasn't perfect, and it couldn't pull it off alone, but boy the damage
it
could inflict with minimal risk to itself.

Naturally, my gaming group banned VTOLs, citing that every game occurred
in
"VTOL Hostile" atmospheres.  I didn't mind, as the game is supposed to
be
about Mechs, and I didn't play B-Tech that much after the VTOL rules
came
out.

--Tim

On Friday 07 February 2003 04:26 pm, Damond Walker wrote:
> On 2/7/03 15:31, "Symon Cook" <Symon@ereshkigal.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > Many years ago (pre Clan) I read a very interesting series of
Battletech
> > design philosophy articles by a veteran player in a magazine. His
final
> > article covered his discovery that a well designed force of GEV
could
> > take out an equivalent or 'superior' force of mechs EVERY time. He
> > apparently used to demonstrate this at clubs and cons. I was amazed
that
> > actually Battletech had got something plausible.
>
>     The magical vehicle in the game was the VTOL.  It was possible to
> create a 5 ton vtol that cost next to nothing -- mounting a single
LRM-5

--
Flak Magnet (Tim)
www.geocities.com/flakmagnet72

Prev: Re: DS: Walkers Next: Re: DS: Walkers