Prev: RE: [OT] Columbia Next: [FT] Errata? Re: (fwd) Re: [FT] F***ters [was: Operational game]

Re: [OT] Columbia

From: devans@n...
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 10:18:51 -0600
Subject: Re: [OT] Columbia

***
> For those very few of us who might be monitoring e-mail, and no other
> electronics, at approximately 08:00 CST, communications with the
Columbia
> space shuttle were lost, and the craft and crew assumed casualties to
the
> further exploration of space.

msnbc says debris has been seen over Dallas.
***

At the time I'd sent out the original note, I'd already seen the video
tape
from the NBC affliate, and knew what it meant, but a) was stunned and in
more than a bit of a state of denial, b)am too aware of announcements
made
from too little info.

Just after I'd gotten the above reply, Dan Rather, who'd apparently come
in
to the broadcast when it turned into 'important news', was saying how
the
first bits of info can be misleading. I'd heard plenty contradicting,
and
downright silly to as uninformed a layman as myself as I was switching
channels. I knew to err on the side of restraint.

I forgive those who have to sit in front of the camera, whose need to
chew
scenery to claw ratings is greater than journalistic integrity can bear.
know I don't want that burden.

By the way, I still don't know about a central location to send
condolences
to the families, but I just heard there's another fund for the children
of
the crews.

Is it time to stop kvetching on the media yet?

The_Beast

Prev: RE: [OT] Columbia Next: [FT] Errata? Re: (fwd) Re: [FT] F***ters [was: Operational game]