Prev: [SG] ALF figs? Re: OT: Pet Deification was WCC Next: Re: OT: Pet Deification was WCC

[OT] Dogs and Cats

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 15:10:51 -0500
Subject: [OT] Dogs and Cats

As somewho has owned and does own both
(multiples usually), let me say this:

Both dogs and cats will come if you call them.
Especially if they happen to associate such
summonings with good things such as food,
being scratched behind the ears, etc.

I heard of a recent study by some
psychologists/cognitive scientists that
compared cats and dogs to human infants.
They fixed the average dog-mental-age at
about 24 months (based on what the dog
could do/remember/how it reacted) and the
average cat at 18 months. One of the most
interesting points was during an interview one
of the scientists was asked about the old belief
that cats are real smart, just independent
minded. His reply went something to the effect
"When you talk to a Cat, and they give you that
blank stare, it doesn't mean they're assigning
you some inconsequential status. Honestly, they
just don't get it. Period."

At our house, the dog gives way to the cat(s)
going into his dish and sampling what they
want. Some would say this is a reflection of the
pecking order, but I think not. My dog (a yellow
lab) doesn't have a nasty bone in his body (if
he did, the cats would be lunch) - I think he's
just more willing to share and he knows the cats
won't eat much (and he'll scarf whatever they
leave in their dishes anyway, so he comes out
ahead).

Remember: Dogs adore you for who you are.
Cats adore you for what you can do for them
(or have done for them lately). :)
Mr. Thomas Barclay
Software Developer & Systems Analyst
thomas.barclay@stargrunt.ca

Prev: [SG] ALF figs? Re: OT: Pet Deification was WCC Next: Re: OT: Pet Deification was WCC