Prev: Re: DSII: Command Unit Question Next: Book

Re: DSII: Command Unit Question

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 13:44:56 -0500
Subject: Re: DSII: Command Unit Question

At 10:35 AM -0800 1/23/03, John Atkinson wrote:

>Sounds like that would be identified as the center of
>gravity anyway.  I'd be throwing all kinds of assets
>into that mix on the premise that anything in that
>mess is valuable.

It tends to be a spread out mess however. They aren't bunched up. The
premise is that there are enough non-line units in the second echelon
that picking the single C4I unit out isn't a trivial task. Especially
since I do tend to hide them and some of the support assets in
reverse slopes and behind forests.

Of course, the average DSII player I go up against isn't quite of the
same quality as you John. I'd love to get a game up with you just to
see how nasty you really are.

>I tend to run with my arty off-board, and only 2-6
>mortars on the table.	Engineers are only if needed--I
>assume that otherwise they'd be kept fairly far back.

I address it depending on the battle. Some battles are a mix, really
big battles have mortars and guns on table with heavy artillery off
table. Med artillery gets the pick of off or on usually. In big
battles I like for the on board artillery to have a re-supply element
as well for those sustained engagements.

>  > >issued tanks and expected to be in them--let the XO
>>  >run the TOC.  You can tell where they are--all
>>  other
>>  >tanks are in 4s, these are singles or in pairs.
>>
>>  Btn XO and CO are in the 2 extra TOCs. Co XOs are
>
>XO is in the TOC, BC and BN S3 are in tanks.  A proper
>TOC requires so many assets that it's not practical to
>duplicate at the BN level.

I'm figuring that the C4I is the TOC at something like Battalion
level. That's about the largest scale of game I've run, 4-5 companies
makes a pretty good reinforced battalion.

>Company CO and XO are in tanks, the 1st SGT is in an
>APC or a jeep.

That's the one thing I'm missing from my figures. A couple of really
properly sized jeeps. I've got trucks though.

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-	 The director of Home Security encourages you to       -
-	   turn in your neighbor & spy on your friends.        -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: DSII: Command Unit Question Next: Book