Prev: Re: [FAQ] FH what? Re: [DSII] Dozy question re: Command/Communications Next: Re: [FAQ] FH what? Re: [DSII] Dozy question re:Command/Communications

Re: [DSII] Dozy question re: Command/Communications

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 13:51:29 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [DSII] Dozy question re: Command/Communications

--- Ryan Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com> wrote:

> What all the other Commando units spread from Sword
> to Gold beach?

Don't know enough about 'em.  What kind of losses did
they take, what opposition did they face, and what
exactally was their role?  I mean, I don't recall
hearing of them spearheading the breakthroughs, but I
may be wrong.

> >Put those same Rangers up against Panzers?  Fish
> food.
>
> In your average situation, granted. Terrain can
> mitigate that some
> though. The 1st Airborne held on for a bloody long
> time considering
> their light nature against the remnants of 2 Panzer
> Divisions.

Yeah.  And the moral of that story is:	"Don't drop
airborne into the laager of a Panzer Corps".
Eventually they lost and lost badly.  Was it worth it?
 No.  Was it a criminal misuse of resources?  Yes.
Was Montgomery guilty of gross negligence?  Yes.
Should he have been awarded the Knight's Cross with
Oak Leaf Clusters?  Many German generals got it for
less contribution to the German war effort.

John

http://mailplus.yahoo.com