Prev: Re: [DSII] Dozy question re: Command/Communications Next: Re: [DSII] Dozy question re: Command/Communications

Re: [FAQ] FH what? Re: [DSII] Dozy question re: Command/Communications

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 13:45:51 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [FAQ] FH what? Re: [DSII] Dozy question re: Command/Communications

--- Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com> wrote:

> Considering that the NRE has very poor relations
> with the Romanov Hegemony,

Yes. . .

> and that the Romanov Hegemony seem to have been one
> of the NAC's closest
> allies throughout the 2nd and 3rd Solar Wars (not
> sure about the 1st), an
> NAC-NRE war seems quite likely...

The main reason it hasn't happened yet is that the NAC
did NOT need to force another nation into the ESU's
corner.

> ...this is one of the bits I don't quite understand
> in John's NRE write-up
> - the NRE happily (and successfully!) attacks the RH
> without having its
> supposedly good relations with the NAC turn
> liquid-helium cold, but when
> the ESU attacks RH outworld installations the NAC
> immediately goes to war
> to help the Romanovs?

When the NRE goes in after the RH, it was a limited
war for a limited objective, and the NAC was already
engaged in a slugging match with the ESU and FSE.  To
expend the presumably stretched resources of the NAC
Navy in a sideshow would be pointless.	A fight
between the ESU and RH is an escalation of the cold
war between those two powers.  A fight between the RH
and the NRE, who cares?  Like all third tier powers,
the NRE exists by being pretty blatant about alligning
itself with whoever is convenient were they attacked
by a major power.  Every war they have with the Big
Four or their client state is at the same time that
that state is also under attack from another more
pressing threat.  NRE-RH fight from 2168-2174 (in
Tuffleyverse terms, a brief disagreement).  RH had
gone to war with ESU in 66.  In '68, the ESU launched
an abortive attack on Titshihar which cost the RH
every spacecraft in the system, but was not strong
enough to take the planet.  At some point, there are
more attacks on Titshihar since in '82 there is a
reference to Kaliphate mercs 'reinforcing' ESU troops
on Titshihar.

John

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Prev: Re: [DSII] Dozy question re: Command/Communications Next: Re: [DSII] Dozy question re: Command/Communications