Prev: [OT] US military scores laser success Next: Evacuated Tube Transport

[SG] Bounding advance

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 04:28:33 -0500
Subject: [SG] Bounding advance

Tony sagely wrote:

I would add the following clarifications:
 - Both units perform a fire action
immediately.
 - The leapfrogging unit fires with half its
firepower
   (since the unit is split between moving
and covering
   troops - this also has implications for play
balance)
 - Casualties/Suppressions are determined
after both units
   have fired.

Tomb: I like this a lot. I'll try it out and let
you know how it pans out. Seems
reasonable to me.

PS - For someone who asked: At the time I
trained, which is many years ago now
(gawd, two decades...), we used to use a
mnemonic to help us get bounding "right" -
you stayed up (the length of your bound) a
time (not distance, that depends how fast
you are!) enough to say (all as one
runtogetherphrase) "up-he-sees-me-
down". So typical bounds were only a few
meters at a time.

I have heard it said that the Paras tried this
in the Falklands, and subsequent review
found this pace of advance to slow (the
cover benefits were offset by the length of
time you spent under enemy guns) - the
get up and run at them (close assault) was
felt to be more useful in some situations
(even though it exposes you to more
immediate risk, the cumulative risk ends up
being less - or something). Also note that
the bounding A2C I learned was quite
tiring... you spent a lot of time heaving
yourself up, making a few paces of sprint,
then catapulting yourself prone again to
draw a bead and start shooting. You have
to be in very good shape to not have this
tire/wind you shortly.

Maybe someone else who has trained in
advance-to-contact procedure of a more
recent vintage might have a comment on
current doctrine?
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: [OT] US military scores laser success Next: Evacuated Tube Transport