Prev: Re: Mixed combat units, etc. Next: Re: Mixed combat units, etc.

RE: The GZG Digest V2 #1381

From: "Skp" <skp@c...>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 00:26:02 -0700
Subject: RE: The GZG Digest V2 #1381

>I would discuss with all the other players first, in detail, how jump
gate
>assaults will work.  Nothing will kill your campaign faster that
>annihilating their entire offensive fleet on the first campaign turn.
>Especially if you wrote the campaign rules.

I did not write the house rules. However I am in consensus in wanting to
use
the jump gate rules. and I do see your point. I am just a humble empire
builder wanting to thrash my enemies :)

>Attacking ships can shoot beam weapons on the first turn through the
>jumpgate, but cannot launch missiles/fighters until the second turn.
>Defending ships cannot attack on the first turn of the game due to
surprise
>(or: can only attack with beam weapons if they roll 4+ to represent
hitting
>red alert).  No crew can stand at red alert indefinately.  They can
launch
>missiles/fighters on the second turn.	Up to 1/2 the available fighter
>groups can already be in space as a standing CAP.

from what I know of the rules so far. (The moderators have not released
the
whole rule set to use regarding the Jump gates.) We know that the first
time
through the gate a ship is defenseless. The second time into the same
system
with the same ship. Partial defense/offense is allowed. This is not
clear to
me yet. The moderator did use the Babylon 5 example. The jump gate
allows
instantaneous travel point to point. We have been told that we will need
three fleets 1) gate guard. 2)system defense. 3) offensive fleet.

>This will at the least provoke a restart to the campaign.

yeah I see that. hmmm

>which requires about 30 needle beam die on
>average.  They're not really a combat weapon; usually only pirates
would
>bother when attacking merchantmen.

doh! thanks. I hadn't worked the odds yet.

>Include "Striking the Colours (MT)" and "Overkill (MT)" as part of the
>campaign rules instead.

I will recommend those to the moderators.

thanks
Samir

Prev: Re: Mixed combat units, etc. Next: Re: Mixed combat units, etc.