Prev: Re: [SG] Maisto Vehicles Next: RE: [SGII][WW2] Here we go again.

RE: [SGII][WW2] Here we go again.

From: Scott Siebold <gamers@a...>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 21:18:46 -0500
Subject: RE: [SGII][WW2] Here we go again.

>fre, 2002-10-18 kl. 23:25 skrev Johan Böjeryd:
>
>>My take on this issue is that the idea isn't to make
>>every bullet count, the idea is too use the immense
>>firepower of say, a quad .50 to supress the enemy
>>until flanking fire can be brought to bear. The issue
>>of 20mm+ multiple mounts is different altogether, snce

Why bother with HE? The vulcan (20mm) fires about 5000 rounds per minute
(80 per second) at ground targets and by today standards is considered
obsolescent (as ground based AA). The Israeli army still uses it to
supress/take
out ground targets. Consider the effect:

One pass with a 10 second burst will put out 800 rounds and if fired at
a target
area of 100 yards will put out 8 rounds per yard or 2 -3 rounds per
foot. These
rounds will not be stopped by trees, bushes, packed dirt or flak vests.
If the
target has been identified then a 2 second burst at a 2 yard wide target

will
not leave very much left.

The main reason the Vulcan is considered obsolescent as an AA weapon is
that
most aircraft use standoff weapons today and will out range it.

>>they can and will fire HE projectiles. One 20mm HE
>>wont do much, it might hit the wrong side of a small
>>tree or fly past, but four such projectiles, fired at
>>a rate of about 450 rpm, is bound to cause havoc in a

Even the German single barrel 20mm AA gun of the 1970-1980 time frame
were over
1000 rounds per minute. The rates of fire you are talking about are
WWII.

>>manner completely different from an MG.
>>Then there might be some more losses.
>>

>Yes, I would think this a fair use of the weapon. Besides a truck
loaded
>with enemies might not like the idea of 4 barrels of 20mm HE firing at
>it ;)

After a 3 second burst from a single barrel AA gun the question is more
like what truck.

Scott Siebold

Prev: Re: [SG] Maisto Vehicles Next: RE: [SGII][WW2] Here we go again.