Prev: Re: Insane modellers (and another GZG...) Next: Re: another GZG - legal?

[FT] Acceleration Before/After Move?

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@h...>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 12:11:48 -0500
Subject: [FT] Acceleration Before/After Move?

Someone on the SG2-FT Yahoo group asked if acceleration in FT was
applied
before you moved or after you moved. I always applied it before the
move. So,
if your current speed is 10 and you order R2+2: your speed for the turn
would
be 12, you'd make a one point turn before moving, move 6", make another
1
point turn to the right, and then move the last 6".

Here's my reasoning from the Yahoo list:

> I didn't think this was even in doubt. Page 5 and 6 of the "Full
Thrust"
> rulebook strongly implies that you apply acceleration the same turn
you write
> orders. "A ship travelling at VELOCITY 8 will move 8 inches in that
Game
> Turn, provided it does not apply any thrust to alter that velocity.
SHIPS
> "MUST" ALWAYS MOVE THE FULL DISTANCE SPECIFIED BY THEIR CURRENT
VELOCITY,
> UNLESS THE VELOCITY IS ALTERED BY APPLYING THRUST." (Emphasis from
Jon.)
> Other rules seem to imply it, too.
>
>You write orders, including acceleration. Those orders apply to the
current
> game turn. If you applied the acceleration after movement, or in a
"Turn End
> Phase", your "Current Velocity" would always be the amount you started
the
> turn with, so you'd never have the situation listed above in the all
caps
> text.

The reason I'm asking if that's how folks do it here is that Andrew
Malcolm
pointed out to me that something like 7/8 of the "Students Nationals FT
Tournament" (in Britain, I assume) this year did it the wrong way!
Re-reading
the rules, Jon uses the term "Current Velocity" which can lead to, what
think is, a misinterpretation of the rules.

So, how do _you_ accelerate your ships, before or after movement? And,
what's
the proper way of doing it? I assume it's before movement, for the
reasons
above and the fact that it makes Salvo Missiles more challenging.

http://www.hyperbear.com

"We come into the world and take our chances
 Fate is just the weight of circumstances
 That's the way that Lady Luck dances
 Roll the bones." - N. Peart

Prev: Re: Insane modellers (and another GZG...) Next: Re: another GZG - legal?