Prev: Re: Space Lanes? (was Re: [OT] Sea Lanes was: Liberals ) Next: Re: Space Lanes? (was Re: [OT] Sea Lanes was: Liberals )

Re: Space Lanes? (was Re: [OT] Sea Lanes was: Liberals )

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 11:48:25 -0400
Subject: Re: Space Lanes? (was Re: [OT] Sea Lanes was: Liberals )

At 2:58 PM +0100 9/16/02, Roger Burton West wrote:
>Given the chains of jumps used for long distances, I think the only way
>to make piracy practical would be to know where the target is going to
>jump to, and wait there. It seems likely that civilian lines would have
>standard rendezvous points (both to simplify navigation and to make it
>easier to search for a ship that's missed arrival).

Piracy will be more practical out around smaller worlds (Moons)
belonging to third rate powers. They'll have less to defend with and
be more likely to turn a blind eye to piracy when it's not their
ships being affected.

>Then it's a race between the civilian crew coming out of jump-shock and
>the pirates fixing their position and attacking.

I think the pirates would have to be right on top of the ship in
order take advantage of the 30minutes to an hours time a civilian
crew would have.

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-	 The director of Home Security encourages you to       -
-	   turn in your neighbor & spy on your friends.        -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -