Prev: Re: [OT] Wargamers was: Personal hoody-hoo Next: Re: [OT] Liberals was: Personal hoody-hoo

Re: [OT] Personal hoody-hoo

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 10:08:06 -0500
Subject: Re: [OT] Personal hoody-hoo

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 19:48:34 -0700 (PDT), John Atkinson
<johnmatkinson@yahoo.com> wrote:

>It's a common misconception that liberals hate
>wargaming as much as they enjoy cutting military
>budgets down past the point where their nation's
>military can't defend against a determined Girl Scout
>troop with sticks (see: Canada, Most of Europe).

There's also the question of how you define a "liberal". There's a
difference
between being fiscally liberal and socially liberal. This is the thing I
hate
about "liberal" and "conservative" labels. You can believe in one
political
party's foreign policy, their fiscal policy, and their military policy,
but
believe in another party's health care policy and civil rights policy.

I consider myself a "liberal" on this list only because my social and
religious beliefs would probably shock some of the more conservative
members
of society. I'm still pro-military and pro-history (and military
history). I'm
generally in favour of free trade, but that's hard to pin you down (free
trade
started as a pro-liberal thing, then pro-conservative; now it's
pro-whoever's
in power/anti-whoever's not in power).

>It's just 1:1 scale wargaming that liberals don't
>like.

Really? I really enjoy skirmish gaming...

Or are you talking 1:1 as in military service? The conservatives being
seen as
pro-military is actually a fairly new phenomenon in the US. Historically
both
liberals and conservatives have been pro-military. Even the military
spending
increase that's associated with Regan began under Carter.

http://www.hyperbear.com

"We come into the world and take our chances
 Fate is just the weight of circumstances
 That's the way that Lady Luck dances
 Roll the bones." - N. Peart

Prev: Re: [OT] Wargamers was: Personal hoody-hoo Next: Re: [OT] Liberals was: Personal hoody-hoo