Prev: RE: Thinking out loud. . . Next: Tar-zhay! Re: Maisto Vehicles are Back at Wal-Mart!

Re: GPS

From: "Brendan Pratt" <bastard@o...>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 09:38:59 +1000
Subject: Re: GPS

> Currently civilian GPS is about the same accuracy as military GPS
(about
3m) but when SA (Selective Availability) was active the accuracy for
civilians was 100's of m to 1.5 km.  The military turned off SA a few
years
ago.

Garmin/GME would like you to think so - the average accuracy is about 5
m in
real life with a civilian unit - both precision and military units have
greater accuracy levels and even then the qualityu of the unit plays a
big
part.

> The military reserves the right to add SA whenever they wish as GPS is
military system which they happen to allow civilians to use.  As it is a
US
military system it makes our European Allies a bit nervous and they are
setting up their own GPS satellite network.

EGNOS - European Geostationary Navigation Overlay Service - it will not
replace GPS, just augment the existing service for civilian and
precision
units and then help in the event of the return of SA. The US already has
similar system called WAAS.  (EGNOS should be operational by the end of
2003).

> Differential GPS depends on known land sites to send out GPS signals -
effectively becoming another GPS satellite, however they are limited by
radio range to be effective.  Such locations would be known or easily
discovered and could be knocked out in a war, since they have to
transmit to
be effective.

HARMS will do the job nicely.

Brendan

Prev: RE: Thinking out loud. . . Next: Tar-zhay! Re: Maisto Vehicles are Back at Wal-Mart!