Prev: Re: [SG2] Cover Penetration Question for all you Armour Experts Next: Re: Dan Dare animated series

Re: [SG2] Cover Penetration Question for all you Armour Experts

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 07:22:57 -0400
Subject: Re: [SG2] Cover Penetration Question for all you Armour Experts

> Um... Imre? This extra armour was against *HEAT* rounds. Not against
KE;
> definitely not against APFSDS. In addition this "armour" had a
tendency to
> send a large shower of splinters straight into the tank's sights when
hit
> by pretty much anything larger than a side arm, thereby considerably
> faciliating an F-kill by weapons which otherwise would've been too
light
> threaten the tank seriously from the front...

That's interesting, the article I read specified APFSDS, not HEAT.  It
did
not specifiy what happend to the bars.	While I'm not surprised that the
bars shattered, the article did specify that 120mm APFSDS was not
capable of
penetrating the front of the S-103b.  While the fragments aren't good,
I'd
rather deal with them then that un-disrupted APFSDS.  As for the sight,
either shutter them, or periscope them.

> Now, your parapet design might work... too bad that you'll only be
able to
> build one such parapet-equipped fighting position per tank company :-/

Only if you don't build them in advance...

ias

Prev: Re: [SG2] Cover Penetration Question for all you Armour Experts Next: Re: Dan Dare animated series