Prev: Dan Dare animated series Next: Re: [SG2] Cover Penetration Question for all you Armour Experts

Re: [SG2] Cover Penetration Question for all you Armour Experts

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 07:14:08 -0400
Subject: Re: [SG2] Cover Penetration Question for all you Armour Experts

> Do you have any earthly idea how long that would
> take??

You did not specify a time requirement.  If you're the Iraqi's and
you've
got the U.S. threatening to invade, you've got plenty of time while the
U.S.
builds up to invade.

> I mean, have you ever operated US Army earth-moving
> vehicles?  I've been an ACE crewman and I can assure
> you that with the resources of an Armored division and
> even a week's time, there is no way in hell you could
> construct enough of those things to shelter even a
> batallion's worth of armor.

Never been an ACE crewman.  I have had entirely too many brunettes to
chase...

Most fortifications take time to build.  Look at Verdun, Metz, etc.  You
plan these thing in advance.  Modern example, South Korea.

> No, the way to create fighting positions for armor is
> digging holes, not creating parapets.

Assuming the terrain you are in allows you the luxury of digging down
instead of building up.  There are a lot of place in the world where
digging
down won't work.  Examples, most river delta's (including the one in
Iraq),
half of Florida, about a third of the Leningrad Oblast, the Pripet
Marshes,
etc, etc, etc.

Prev: Dan Dare animated series Next: Re: [SG2] Cover Penetration Question for all you Armour Experts