Prev: Re: New 'electrical active' Armour to defeat hand held anti-tank rounds Next: Re: British (and other) Weapon Nomencalture

British (and other) Weapon Nomencalture

From: kaladorn@m...
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:41:20 -0400
Subject: British (and other) Weapon Nomencalture

Attention Eurolisterdudes!

What's the L in L7? (the NAC AR)

Americans use M- for rifles (Military?). The Canadians use C-
(Canadian?). Germans use G (Gewehr?). Russians have a series of AKs
(Avtomat Kalashnikova - or something like that). But what does the L
in L7 stand for? Why do the Brits use L designations for rifles?

And what designation do Brits use for pistols? (Yanks use M-... which
again I think is Military). I don't even recall what Canucks use (I
only ever recall that we called the Browning Hi-Power a "Browning",
don't ever recall but I'm sure it had a code). And I think the
Germans use P- (Pistol?).

If I'm correct, the french might use:
FA - Fusil D'Assaut
FTE - Fusile Traleur d'Elite (sp?)