Prev: RE: 2nd/3rd rate powers - LLAR - and now Africans... Next: John's Weapons list

Tomb's Rating System

From: kaladorn@m...
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 15:46:03 -0400
Subject: Tomb's Rating System

KHR (who so ably notes that my rating is one-dimensional, which was
no secret) said there were problems in my rankings.

Anytime you aggregate a ranking from a diverse collection of weighted
parameters (formally or not), you introduce all manner of suspect
points: What are the parameters used/not used, what weightings are
assigned, how did you arrive at values for the ratings, etc.

The rating I gave was in terms of troop quality (meaning the quality
of individual soldiers and leaders, as an average). This encompasses
training, experience in small and large unit conflict (as it pertains
to how well leaders handle these formations), technology (as it
pertains to how well they train), logistics and support (as it
pertains to how good their training is - how often, how real, etc),
how often then conduct excercises (as it speaks to training), etc.

It wasn't speaking directly to combat power, just to the quality of
the average soldier. And a 2nd or 3rd rate power may not have been
that far behind a first rate power. The gradations and the scale of
their differentiation was never defined, though I didn't think of it
as terrribly large.

The best arguments I've seen so far for changes to my rankings
involve downgrading Sweden and the Gurkhas for some of the same
reasons I downgraded Scanfed. I actually buy those, though I suspect
the Gurkhas operate with NAC and train with them and interoperate so
well that they may actually gain many of the NAC benefits without
actually being a large power (this is one lure for small client
states and protectorates).

But I'd suggest, for interest, a larger write-in vote like the one
Beth did for the fleets. But the trick would be in clearly defining
categories that made sense and assigning them weighting wrt to the
overall ranking tiers. Such an aggregate rating could produce
subratings like : average troop quality, average officer quality,
average NCO quality, national combat power, force projection
rankings, etc.

Anyone know of a non-subscription on line e-Poll place? That would
allow us to do this rather easily. Alternately, someone could
organize an e-mail poll.

I'd suggest the following areas to rate (by nation) (leaving the
discussions of weighting until later):

Individual soldier
------------------------
Equipment:
	Quality - how good is their equipment
	Reliability - how reliable
	Uniformity - how evenly available is the good equipment
Training:
	Breadth - how broad-spectrum is training
	Depth - how intense (related to how many hours) is training
	Uniformity - how evenly available is training
Mission / Combat Experience:
	Breadth - how many types of missions/ops
	Depth - how often and how long
	Uniformity - how evenly is the experience distributed
Institutional/Cultural:
	Cultural - is the soldier from a more or less martial culture
	Institutional - does the military have proud traditions,
history,
espirit de corps
Leadership:
	Breadth - have leaders had a chance to command varieties of unit

types, formation sizes, etc
	Depth - have the leaders got a lot of experience due to high op
tempo or long training in mid-large size force excercises (and is the
force big enough to allow this)
	Uniformity - is leadership skill divided evenly across the
force, or
is it very spotty and intermittent

Ground Forces
----------------------
	Size - how big is the military
	Specialized units - does it support specialized units like
engineers, tacair, spec forces, etc and to what extent relative to
its size (average, more than average, less than average)
	Cross-Training - are the troops generally capable of attempting
tasks outside a limited specialty and are formations capable of same
	Equipment - how much of it? how good?
	Maintenance - how well maintained is the equipment? how well
designed? how reliable?
	Logistics - how much supply is there? how much ability to deploy

forces and support them? how professional is the log corps? how much
corruption is there?
	Operational Planning - how good are the generals and senior
commanders at the art of planning operations, strategy, etc.
	Investment in Personel - does the army suffer from under funding
or
is it well funded for personel, training, manpower levels
	Investment in Technology/Materials - same, but for equipment,
upgrades, quantity of specialized kit, etc.
	Political Involvement - how involved are the politicos or other
powerful people
(generally, the more, the worse.....)
	Tradition - does the army have a tradition of victory, never
giving
up, fighting to
the death, glory, professionalism, etc or a tradition of getting
whupped, giving up, deserting, having discipline and morale problems,
etc.

That's a first cut at a more detailed assessment.

Prev: RE: 2nd/3rd rate powers - LLAR - and now Africans... Next: John's Weapons list