Prev: Re: Scouts Next: Re: Speaking of. . .

Re: 2nd/3rd rate powers - Swiss/Scandinavians

Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 05:35:21 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: 2nd/3rd rate powers - Swiss/Scandinavians

Wilderness we have, indeed. Money we have not.
I feel like Yoda now.
Our gear is good though. But the modern stuff we have
is only in sufficient numbers to train with, all we
have in case of a crisis is G3 assault rifles in
abundance. Everything mobilization worthy has been
scrapped. While Finland and Norway seem to have good
soldier material (personell wise), Sweden and Denmark
do not. Thats purely based on those representatives
I've met when I served. A great majority have lax
dicipline, bad dress code, and a general unsoldierly
manner. That this could continue to this timeline
isn't very likely though.
If Sweden is to be a leading nation in a federation,
there has be be a significant change in government.
And for us to venture into space or engage in an armed
conflict, theres gonna be an even bigger need for a
change.

(Sorry, I'm quite bitter atm) :)

--- KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de wrote:
> John Atkinson schrieb:
> > --- Thomas Barclay <kaladorn@magma.ca> wrote:
> > > Second Rate
> > > --------------
> > > Swiss
> >
> > I'd tend to consider them as first rate.  Note
> that
> > historically the Swiss provided the only "first
> rate"
> > infantry in many people's armies.
>
> Well, yes. But that was at least two centuries ago.
> Almost any nation
> had a good army at some point in time. If we
> extrapolate from the
> present situation, I would place the Swiss at the
> same level with the
> Scanfed. Either raise the Scanfed to 2nd rate (my
> preference) or move
> the Swiss down for the same reasons as the
> Scandinavians. I personally
> feel TomBs reason for downgrading them are rather
> suspect. Present-day
> Scandinavian nations have some pretty good
> equipment, a fair degree of
> peace-keeping experience - certainly more than the
> Swiss - and they
> certainly have enough wilderness for large scale
> exercises, more than
> the Swiss.
>
> Greetings
> Karl Heinz

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs

Prev: Re: Scouts Next: Re: Speaking of. . .