Prev: Re: [FT] Matter Transmitter Next: Re: Speaking of. . .

Re: Spoon Feeding WWII Genre to players was

From: Flak Magnet <flakmagnet@t...>
Date: 13 Aug 2002 08:43:05 -0400
Subject: Re: Spoon Feeding WWII Genre to players was

On Sun, 2002-08-11 at 02:31, Scott Siebold wrote:

> >>So given the fact that all wargamers are lazy, and that DS2 doesn't
say it
> >>can be used for historical games on the cover, who IS going to
convince
> >>them that it can be used for WW2/Modern games?
> >>

> >Folks like you and me who play both sides of the fence (uh,
sci-fi/fantasy
> >_and_ historicals, I mean! *grin*). The best thing to do is to have
your mods
> >on a piece of paper and hand them out during the game to anyone
interested.
> >Then those who liked it will maybe by the sci-fi rules to play the
game.

> I have been reading this discussion about converting DS2 or SG to play

> WWII rules
> for some time and just sort of wondered why. They are "excellent"
rules
> for SciFi but
> must be modified to play WWII. Are you having a problem with the WWII
rules
> that you have been playing with that require you to go and modify a
set
> of rules?

I'm not having any trouble with the current WWII rules that I have
because I don't have any 1:1 model-scale rules.  I have GHQ rules, which
puts 1 model at a platoon's worth of troops, it's fun, but not my
favorite way to play.  I really like that way FMA flows and would like
to see WWII fitted into it.

It's really more of a side-project to the overall task of wanting to run
three events at conventions (current target:  Origins '03), one each of
WWII, Moderns and Sci-Fi using DS2.

> At Historicon 2002 I played a set of rules called WWII Battlefront and

> they were excellent
> rules for that period at a scale (for infantry) somewhere between DS2
> and SG. I
> play at larger scale for infantry but if  I did go to this scale I
would
> chose Battlefront
> over DS2 or SG. The reason is that the rules written for a certain
time
> frame (if written
> well) give the feel of that time and must only be slightly modified to
meet
>  "my opinion" of combat in that time frame. I also get all of the
major
> armies vehical
> data (in #$%&*! modules) so that I do not reinvent the wheel if I go
> these rules.

That's just it.  I want to reinvent that wheel for DSII so no one else
has to.  If I do it well, it'll be a good thing.  If I fail miserably,
then it'll never see the web.  (Likewise, if I procrastinate forever...
procrastination being my greatest skill.)

> At Historicon 2001 I played in another WWII tactical game and  found
the
> rules
> were "good". The rules had been rewritten for WWII and were coming out
for
> modern and "future". The problem will be that in order to play these
> rules for WWII
> and then change over to invasion of World X will require a complete
> change in mindset
> (use rules A-B-C-D for WWII and substitute rules X for A and Y for C)
> which in the
> long run just isn't worth it. For SciFi at that scale I would select
SG.

I intend to keep the modifications or exceptions to the rules down to a
bare minimum, none at all if I can get away with it.  The focus is on
stats and TO&E for units in WWII, not on modding the rules.

--

--Flak Magnet
Hive Fleet Jaegernaught

"You don't install Linux on the desktop for the same reason
you don't stick table saws in your kids' bedrooms, or give
a contractor a squeeky hammer to build your house. Real men
use the table saws, and let the kids use the squeeky hammer

Prev: Re: [FT] Matter Transmitter Next: Re: Speaking of. . .