Prev: Re: Allan's comments on GenCon Next: RE: Scouts out. . . NAC style

Re: [OT] GenCon (was Re: GenCon Plans Anyone?)

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 14:47:24 -0500
Subject: Re: [OT] GenCon (was Re: GenCon Plans Anyone?)

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002 10:46:23 -0700 (PDT), John Atkinson
<johnmatkinson@yahoo.com> wrote:

>These same guys would dump in their drawers at the
>idea of playing a game with mass drivers or laser
>rifles.

I could never figure out how ancients players could sometimes turn their
nose
down at sci-fi and fantasy games (not all do; some actually like fantasy
games
as they are quite similar to ancients) while fighting battles out of
era. It's
quite common knowledge that DBA/DBM/DBR don't work with anything close
realism once you play games outside of a given era.

I wonder if they would complain about a SG2/Hardtack scenario based on
Turtledove's "Guns of the South"? I mean, it's muskets on one side
(historical
weapon) and AK-47s on the other side (historical weapon).

Oh, and to put this slightly on topic, we're working on tech modifiers
in FMAS
so that different levels of technology will be taking into
consideration.

http://www.hyperbear.com

unimaginable mortician was revealed!"
 - from the Random H.P. Lovecraft Story Generator:
http://www.darkicon.com/Library/randsent.htm

Prev: Re: Allan's comments on GenCon Next: RE: Scouts out. . . NAC style