Prev: Re: Spoon Feeding WWII Genre to players was --> Re: GenCon Plans Anyone? Next: Re: Allan's comments on GenCon

Re: Spoon Feeding WWII Genre to players was --> Re: GenCon Plans Anyone?

From: "Mike Elliott" <Mike.Elliott@s...>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 16:08:57 +0100
Subject: Re: Spoon Feeding WWII Genre to players was --> Re: GenCon Plans Anyone?

Allan Goodall wrote:
>The biggest obstacle, though, is the stigma that sci-fi games have with
>historical players. I know that SG2 and DS2 can be adapted for
historical
use,
>but it doesn't say so on the cover. If you're a historical player you
are
not
>going to buy DS2 for Russian Front games unless someone convinces you
that
it
>can be used for WW2/Modern games.

So given the fact that all wargamers are lazy, and that DS2 doesn't say
it
can be used for historical games on the cover, who IS going to convince
them that it can be used for WW2/Modern games? (Incidentally, I am
planning
to play some Vietnam games using DS2. Its all helicopters and infantry
so
DS2 should work like a dream with virtually no modifications.)

Seems to me the best way of doing this is to run some demo/party games
at
shows. Whet their appetite with a game actually being played. Enthuse
about
the game to all the punters. When they say "Where can I buy the rules?"
Tada! Produce a copy of DS2 and point them at the nearest GZG stockist.
When they say "But its a sci-fi game!" you reply "But you didn't know
that
until I showed you the rulebook!" QED.

You won't need the encyclopedic stats database that Flak Magnet was
talking
about creating first, just enough stats so you can play the game at the
shows.

Food for thought?
Mike

This email has originated from Steria Ltd (formerly Integris Ltd),
Registration No: 2706218.

Privileged, confidential and/or copyright information may be contained
in
this email, and is only for the use of the intended addressee. To copy,
forward, disclose or otherwise use it in any way if you are not the
intended recipient or responsible for delivering to him/her is
prohibited.

If you receive this email by mistake, please advise the sender
immediately,
by using the reply facility in your email software.

We may monitor the content of emails sent and received via our network
for
the purposes of ensuring compliance with policies and procedures.

relationships between Steria Ltd and the recipient.

Office registered at: Computer House, Great West Road, Brentford,
Middlesex, TW8 9DH

Prev: Re: Spoon Feeding WWII Genre to players was --> Re: GenCon Plans Anyone? Next: Re: Allan's comments on GenCon