Prev: Re: Modelling: How to remove epoxy Next: Re: Modelling: How to remove epoxy

Re: Air Power was: REALITY CHECK TIME!

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 13:21:36 -0400
Subject: Re: Air Power was: REALITY CHECK TIME!

At 11:59 AM -0400 7/26/02, laserlight@quixnet.net wrote:
>From: Ryan Gill rmgill@mindspring.com
>>And you're going to smelt these items in orbit how?
>
>Parabolic mirror to focus sunlight on them and use fractional
distillation?

That may work for some of the processes, but how then do you move the
slag and impurities out of the liquid? Further, what about the
casting into ingots and conversion to steel? Artificial gravity will
help some, but one has to wonder about the quantities of water needed
for the annealing and case hardening processes that one must go
through to get certain surface properties.

I'm certain that you can process smaller quantities of ore, but I'd
have to wonder if you'd be better off on at least a low gravity
planetoid for the manufacturing process when you have need of certain
conditions.
--
  Ryan Gill		 rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
  '60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)

Prev: Re: Modelling: How to remove epoxy Next: Re: Modelling: How to remove epoxy