Prev: Re: A new member... Me! Next: Re: Air Power was: REALITY CHECK TIME!

Re: Modelling: How to remove epoxy

From: Yves Lefebvre <ivanohe@a...>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 12:44:35 -0400
Subject: Re: Modelling: How to remove epoxy

>The problem with epoxy is that it deteriorates with age rather badly
(though
>if you paint a model it seems to "lock it in" better and it doesn't
>deteriorate quite so quickly).
>
>I haven't found a problem with the strength of super glue. I don't use
the
>regular strength stuff, though. I use either Zap Gap filler (the green
bottle)
>or Flash medium strength (gap filling) glue (also in a green bottle).
For
>really super bonds I use Flash gel (yellow bottle). I haven't found it
better
>or worse than epoxy. Certainly it isn't as stinky as epoxy, or messy,
nor do
>you have to worry about that "sweet spot" in epoxy when it's just
starting to
>set and is at it's best for easy of use.

I think that super glue has lots of strength if you try to pull the part
apart. However, it break if you twist the part.

Do you found the gel behave differently than normal super glue? I was
under
the impression it was just the same stuff but with different thickness.

>The other thing I like about super glue is the super glue accelerator.
It
>works particularly good with the gel. I glue my figures to washers,
then glue
>gel onto the washer around the figure's base. Before the glue sets
(actually,
>before it runs off the base!) I spray it with accelerator. It's the
best
stuff
>I've found for filling in the area between the base and the washer.

Accelerator is good. I just tried it with normal super glue but I might
try
with the gel type if it's better. For sure, it will be less messy than
epoxy!

Yves

Prev: Re: A new member... Me! Next: Re: Air Power was: REALITY CHECK TIME!