Prev: Re: Spiky Bits Next: Re: Modelling: How to remove epoxy

Modelling: How to remove epoxy

From: kaladorn@m...
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 11:03:52 -0400
Subject: Modelling: How to remove epoxy

Many moons ago, I received some FSE troops epoxied to 1" flatwashers.
Wonderful, except I hate 1" washers (I use pennies). So I needed to
remove the washers. Brake Fluid (the wonderful detergent) removed the
paint on the figures super easily, but the washers were on there to
stay.

So, a couple of days ago, I bought a small can of acetone. Nasty
stuff, so follow all handling instructions and learn about it before
getting any - it isn't nice. I got a small can, poured some into an
old spaghetti jar with a lid, and tossed my FSE troops in.

A couple of days later, the FSE troops' washers had FALLEN OFF. They
didn't even need to be pried apart. And there was virtually NO sign
of the epoxy at all. Also, just to show you how nasty acetone is, it
ate the sealer rim right out of the can lid! (Many of these sealers
are made with synthetics that acetone will eat).

So:
1) If you need to remove epoxy from metal figs, a good bath in
acetone does the job.
2) be careful how you store the acetone, make sure it is ventilated
and the container you use is sealed and of a variety not subject to
destruction by acetone.

Just in case anyone else has this kind of problem - I'm very happy
with the results.

Prev: Re: Spiky Bits Next: Re: Modelling: How to remove epoxy