Prev: Re: [DS] Some questions from this weekend Next: Re: REALITY CHECK TIME!

[SG] firing weapons on the move

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 17:15:04 -0400
Subject: [SG] firing weapons on the move

Allan, I'm gonna take a moment and play Devil's
Advocate.

You (and laserlight) cite several reasons for
penalizing a vehicle firing on the move:

1) spotting
2) unmodelled terrain obstruction
3) partial turn visibility from shooter to target
4) game balance / trade off

Let me approach these indivdually:

1) spotting
If spotting is subsumed in fire combat, then yes,
I'd have to agree that this was a somewhat
reasonable penalty. However, I myself perfer to
maintain discrete spotting mechanics as it
works a bit better (people don't shoot at things
they haven't spotted, nor do they randomly
lose track of units they knew about). But if you
subsume spotting in the shooting rolls, I'll
concede this.

2) unmodelled terrain
You suggest that unmodelled terrain may cut
target visibility. Why do we never have this
problem when our units stop otherwise? Since
we don't, I don't particularly think it is fair to
impose it. My feeling is if it isn't significant
enough to appear on the board, it isn't
significant enough to have in-game impact. I
think if you used this theory to justify an upshift
while moving, you'd be using a double
standard. The "insignificant" terrain would only
have significance to moving units, but not to
others.... that seems wrong to me.

3) partial visibility of enemy unit
One argument holds that you might move in
such a way as to only have visibility to an enemy
unit for part of the move. Fine, except that if we
assume the turn is a continous process where
really things are happening all at once, this
could be argued for most situations, not just
this one case. Also, there may be plenty of
moves where this is not at all the case and that
the enemy is in plain sight the whole move.
Now, if you wanted to argue for a modifier for
brief target exposure and apppy it across the
board, I'd say it might be thorny to do but
reasonable. But certainly I think here again
you'd be applying a double standard to just hit
vehicles on the move with a modifier here.

4) Game trade offs
This argument also is acceptable. It introduces
a bit of a choice to the game, which is
worthwhile.

Given that I use explicit spotting, the only one of
these arguments that I could feel comfortable
with is #4.

Also, as an aside: Thanks for pointing out I
screwed up the open shift (don't do it very
often). I thought the cover shift was a closed
shift and that was given as an official Q&A
answer by Mike Elliot, but I might be mis-
remembering.

Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: Re: [DS] Some questions from this weekend Next: Re: REALITY CHECK TIME!