Prev: Re: [DS] Some questions from this weekend Next: Re: [DS] Some questions from this weekend

Re: [DS] Some questions from this weekend

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 13:45:16 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [DS] Some questions from this weekend

--- Laserlight <laserlight@quixnet.net> wrote:

> They are?  I usually *don't* bring a load of IAVR
> but that doesn't
> mean I couldn't.

I generally do.  I mean, 4 per squad is the doctrinal
minimum.  I've got 2 riflemen and 2 NCOs that aren't
carrying anything else extra so they can carry more
also.  I prefer not to load down my SAW gunners too
much (500-round casettes, spare batteries, etc take up
a good bit of weight, even more if I'm a sonofabitch
and make 'em carry their tripods).  The really nice
thing about SF is that the stupid trend of the past 30
years or so towards weighing the infantry down with at
_least_ 3/4 of their bodyweight in gear can be
reversed.  Pratically everything electronic can by
shrunk by an order of magnitude or more. Lightweight
fabrics can shrink your snivel gear, etc.  The only
thing that's still an unlightenable requirement is
water.	Maybe we could even get back to the historical
standard of 60lb fighting load for the infantryman.

> there will be occasions when everyone in an IF squad
> *does* draw an
> IAVR or two--urban fighting comes to mind.

Deliberate defense, anti-armor ambush (very popular
infantry mission), etc.

John

Prev: Re: [DS] Some questions from this weekend Next: Re: [DS] Some questions from this weekend