Prev: Due to life... Next: [OT] Bun-Bun

Re: painting supremacy vehicles

From: "John Crimmins" <johncrim@v...>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 19:27:19 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: painting supremacy vehicles

<kaladorn@magma.ca>
> wrote:
>
> >Some plastics just don't like holding paint.
> >Some of the 1/72 or 1/76 scale plastic army
> >men are hard plastic, others are a softer kind
> >that loves to flake off paint. Such seems to be
> >the way of the world and not much to do about
> >it....
>
> Umm... yes there is! There are all sorts of options that you have to
make soft
> plastic army men keep their paint. I did some reading on this. I can
give
> anyone references to pages if they want, but the easiest one (I read
about it
> in a message by Frank Chadwick of GDW fame) is to paint on
watered down white
> glue (the stuff you get from Woodland Scenics is the same stuff,
pre-watered).
> You paint it on fairly thick, and keep brushing it out of the folds
where it
> will settle in white until it sets. The result is a clear, flexible
coat that
> wraps around the paint. No flaking, by all accounts.

One of my favorite brands of paints is Cel-Vinyl's "Cartoon Colors".
The stuff is intended for use on animation cels, and is very
flexible...well suited for painting things like plastic army men.

The other really neat bit is that each color has about 20 gradations,
ranging from darkest (20) to just barely a shade away from white (1),
so it makes drybrushing, highlighting, and so forth a VERY easy
process.  I need to put together an order soon.

Problem is, the stuff is a bit pricey...but it lasts for a very long
time.
I've only had one bottle die, and that was because I've literally used
the entire bottle (Dark Green 20 -- covers everything, and it's a
wonderful color).

--
John Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com