Prev: Re: [SG] Discussion about weekend questions Next: Re: [SG] More on APCs

[SG] More HW/Vehicles discussion

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 22:16:12 -0400
Subject: [SG] More HW/Vehicles discussion

I'm thinking that your range band idea is
simple, but doesn't capture (to my mind) the
relative capabilities of the weapons as captured
in DS2.

(PS - our table in the weekends game was
10x6)

The HEL, for example, should probably have
only 1 or at most 2 range bands on a stargrunt
board. In DS2 (yes, it doesn't have to duplicate
DS2, but I don't mind the idea...), anything up
to 60" (6000m) (that may be max of HEL/5,
but IIRC all HELs may have this range) is the
same (close) range for a HEL. That seems to
conjure up the accuracy of a HEL to my mind
(and makes the high FP for laser sniper
weapons sensible too). Weak, affected by
ablative armour, but long ranged and accurate.

I'll take a look through DS2 and do some
thinking about longer (yet still not super
weapon) capabilities for SG2. I believe the trick
is to make vehicles more capable, but to ensure
that the handicaps they suffer in the "real"
world are also adequately represented.
Ubiquitous anti-armour assets are one part of
that. Spotting is another. They will still be
vulnerable to non-penetrating hits. Vehicle on
vehicle remains balanced because what is good
for one vehicle is good for another. Increased
efficacy of GMS (Oerjan and I had a discussion
once and I believe he suggested GMS/P (more
or less) shouldn't exist as GMS/L was about the
right level of potence for infantry carried
weaponry - GMS/P just wasn't menacing enough
to armour).

I'm going to bash up some alternative rules for
these things with more potent vehicles (and the
threats to them) and see if the game still works.
That'll be the true acid test.

Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: Re: [SG] Discussion about weekend questions Next: Re: [SG] More on APCs