Prev: Re: REALITY CHECK TIME! Next: RE: REALITY CHECK TIME! - vehicle bail out morale tests in Stargrunt

Re: REALITY CHECK TIME!

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 15:39:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: REALITY CHECK TIME!

--- DAWGFACE47@webtv.net wrote:

> now granted the other crew members MIGHT  continue
> to figiht the vehicle
> with	what is left of the TC laying on the floor and
> sprayed about the
> compartment, but there is also a chance the crew
> MIGHT panic and
> abandon the  vehicle.

Possible, but most circumstances where the TC is going
to get splattered are situations where it's freakin
suicidal to get out of the damn tank.  Machinegun
bullets like hail on the hull do NOT encourage DATs to
unass.	It encourages them to get the hell out of
Dodge, but if tankers won't get out of their tanks to
eat chow, sleep, eliminate body waste (yes, I've seen
many tankers defecating off their main gun) or ANY
OTHER purpose whatsoever for an entire field problem,
then they are NOT going to get out when someone is
shooting at them.

Now IFVs, that might be different, but you have to
figure that the driver can't see the TC, and the only
rapid way out of the vehicle for the gunner involves
climbing over the dead body of the TC and crawling out
the hatch that the TC was standing in when he was
killed.

Not likely.  Far more likely to continue to fight the
vehicle and withdraw to a covered/concealed position.
Or just panicking and telling the driver to "Drive
that way!", That Way being whichever way does NOT have
Bad Guys shooting from them.

> but if the crew paniced and left, the  squaddies
> would be right behind
> them!

Oh, yeah.  You better believe.	I don't like riding in
a moving coffin.  Stationary coffins have nothing to
recommend them.

> without being  told to do so. especially at the
> first sign of smoke or
> fire in the troop compartment!

Considering the emphasis placed on vehicle fire drills
in training, any smoke/fire will have me out of the
vehicle regardless of what's going on.

John

Prev: Re: REALITY CHECK TIME! Next: RE: REALITY CHECK TIME! - vehicle bail out morale tests in Stargrunt