Prev: Re: Painting Next: Re: [SG] Another pass through heavy weapons

[SG] APCs and whatnot

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 11:00:18 -0400
Subject: [SG] APCs and whatnot

The case Adrian was referring to was what SG2
calls a non-penetrating hit. A hit was scored on
the vehicle, but it did not disable nor destroy
the vehicle. As a non-penetrating hit, you check
for other effects - a systems down hit (need to
get backups online) or an immobilizing hit to
the suspension. In the case in point, an M-kill
was scored by a GMS punching through the
skirting and ruining the lift chamber (maybe
broke some fan blades). No crew injuries
occured and the vehicle could still shoot.

The crew, however, bailed out. It seemed to us
the infantry should either auto-bail or at least
have increased odds given the bail-out of the
crew (and one presumes they know the APC
fans went offline and the vehicle is immobile). As
a former grunt, I myself NEVER liked the idea of
riding around in a tin-can with "shoot me"
written all over it - the sooner one could get on
the ground, the happier I was. But that might
just be me....

As for "APC as part of the squad", keep in mind
how you divide up "squads" in SG2 bears (of
necessity) no particular enforced ties to nominal
unit organization. For example, with well trained
forces like the NSL Pzgd, I often run a squad as
two four man fireteams. They are still "a squad"
but they run as two fireteams that can operate
fairly independently (though I encourage people
to keep squad components together for mutual
support). So an APC which is organizationally
part of the squad may still operate as a
separate vehicle (rather than as a detached
element or something wierder).

As to why I embark/debark as I do: Yes, Adrian
is somewhat correct. It does break the
activation rules. I view it as somewhat of a "joint
activation". The total number of actions
executed is 4, but two are consumed by
"embark" or "debark" and that really only
leaves one action for the squad and one for the
APC. In practice, this isn't all that potent.

As to the problem of having an unactivated
squad beside an activated tank and not being
able to get on.... I sort of view the turn as a
continous thing with some simultaneous
aspects. It occurs to me the APC may actually
still be driving over. We can't activate all the
units at once (physically) which is why we have
an alternating turn sequence. But the fact the
infantry can't board the APC doesn't distrub me
a whit as the APC spent its actions driving over
to the infantry. What I would allow is this: APC
activates and says he's going to pickup infantry,
spends one move action, then spends an
"embark" action. The infantry then spends a
move and embark (or just an embark if they
are close enough). Now, for bookkeeping
simplicity, I activate both units at once. If, OTOH,
I wanted to be different, I could just note the
APC had spent and embark action, allow the
other side to activate a unit, then spend the
embark action on behalf of the troopies in their
activation. Yes, this would mean tracking who
had activated, but considering I track ammo for
all GMS or IAVR on the board, decoy counts,
original squad sizes, etc., tracking this small bit
of (usually obvious) data doesn't really add
much complexity (at least by our standards). Of
course, YMMV.

Tomb.

Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: Re: Painting Next: Re: [SG] Another pass through heavy weapons