Prev: RE: [SGII] AAR, Crouching weasle, hidden danger Next: Re: SG2 graphics & misc

Re: Multi-genre Dirtside II at conventions...

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 12:03:37 +0200
Subject: Re: Multi-genre Dirtside II at conventions...

Tony Christney wrote:

>A missile has nearly the same definition as projectile, with the
>distinction of having a defined target.

Err... nope. At work we define missiles roughly as "projectiles which
have
both active propulsion and an active guidance system". Whether or not it

has a defined *target* is completely irrelevant, since that's up to the
end
user rather than us designers and manufacturers :-/

Thus a STRIX target-seeking AT mortar round is a "projectile" rather
than a
"missile" nor a "rocket" since it lacks an integral active propulsion
unit
to boost the velocity once outside the mortar.

>A rocket has a rocket engine as its means of propulsion.

Tell that to the US armed forces who insist on calling the AT4 (aka
M136) a
"rocket launcher"... :-7

>The terms are not interchangeable.

Correct. Though your definition of "missile" is iffy too :-/

>For example, a Tomahawk is a missile that is not a rocket, an ICBM and
>Sidewinder are both missiles and rockets, and the Me163 Komet is a
>rocket that is not a missile.

The Me163 wasn't a "missile" in spite of having an active guidance
system
(ie., the pilot) because missiles are supposed to be one-way,
single-mission things while the Me163 was supposed to land (and return
its
pilot alive) after a mission. Kamikaze flying bombs can be considered
"missiles", though.

The M76 LAW projectile is a rocket which is not a missile.

>Guided or unguided should properly be used only to determine whether
>the trajectory is controllable after launch.

Guided or unguided is what defines whether your one-way single-mission
projectile is a missile or a rocket-assisted/rocket-propelled grenade
:-/

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: RE: [SGII] AAR, Crouching weasle, hidden danger Next: Re: SG2 graphics & misc