Prev: Re: [SG] more ww2 Next: Re: [SG] more ww2

[SGII] AAR, Crouching weasle, hidden danger (long)

From: "Richard Kirke" <richardkirke@h...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 15:30:10 +0000
Subject: [SGII] AAR, Crouching weasle, hidden danger (long)

Since I hadn't played with them yet, and my brother had nearly a platoon
of
NAC marines painted up, we thought we'd do something a bit different,.

Set-up: A long winding path, about 7-8 ft long, was set along the length
of
the table, with bits of cover (woods, scrub, broken areas, a clasical
temple
and some hilly ridges etc) placed along it. The human forces had to
follow
the path, exscorting an individual figure, protecting him at all costs
{insert reason here}. The Alien player dices as and when he wishes to
use
(or the human player tries to spot into the cover) aliens conceiled in
the
piece of cover, each piece contains D6-2 aliens. All the alien player's
dice
rolls are kept concieled, and results are explained, i.e. "You can see
something in there" depending on the dice roll (this is pretty much up
the alien player, if he rolls low then he should be more helpful until a

unit is spotted properly.

The rules I used for the aliens were as follows:

Movement	6” hidden, D12 combat
Armor		D8
Sensors 	D8
CA		X2, +2 die shifts (any alien downed in CA is considered
		dead, on the rational that would be the only thing
		that would stop an alien in mid charge)
Quality 	D10

Morale: 	Ignore first Suppression
		Removal of suppression automatic but takes an action
		Never take morale check
		Once enemy is detected (must attempt to spot even when
		enemy is in the open), must move to engage, once
		out of cover, move to close assault.
		D6-2 Aliens in each piece of cover.

		If there are more than 10 Aliens to be placed on-
		table then some “hang-back” until some of their
		comrades have fallen.

Have a terror effect. If a unit breaks then they retreat directly away
from
attacking aliens and then another CA is carried out (moving 1 D12
doubled
only), if other aliens are now within range/provoked etc, then they will

also charge.

Extra rule invented on the night: After a succesful CA (like there are
many
other kinds for the beasties...) they must spend an action eating the
bodies
and wounded.

Wounded:	no doubling in CA, 6”D6 movement, D6 sensors, +1 die
shift in CA.
Once wounded they will engage any enemy within 6” then withdraw to the
nearest cover and stay inactive for a turn (unless provoked).

I know this is not very faithful to the Alien(tm) background, but I
can't
realy be bothered with all that.

-{how it went}-

The understrengthed platoon was sadly too weak to take on the alien
hordes,
particularly since the first 4 pieces of cover heald 2 3-alien groups,
which
inflicted a good deal of punishment, effectively eliminating a squad
each.
But it was fun.

The final straw was infact due to a slightly questionable decision to
charge
an un-explored piece of cover with a heavy squad (loaned from the UNSC)
which turned out to contain 4 aliens. The 4 surviving members of the
force
were going to be no match fro four hungry aliens. They looked like they
would break, and run into the forest, to be devoured by some other
unknown
nasty, when they took a "Last Stand" (Now I don't know how many people
have
ever tried this, but I have never seen it fail), they stood ready to
take on
anything (thus bypassing the 4:1 odds confidence check). The aliens
filed
them under BBS (brave but stupid) and ripped them to shreds, but you
can't
have everything.

We have decided to re-fight this at some point, but giving the human
forces
a full strength platoon, maybe 5x6-man squads or something.

Thoughts, comments (as long as they are nice...) anyone tried anyhting
similar?

Richard

Prev: Re: [SG] more ww2 Next: Re: [SG] more ww2