Prev: RE: [SG] Game Pictures and sort of AAR Next: Re: SF Sniper rifle

Re: Terrain for space games

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 00:27:40 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Terrain for space games

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Scott Siebold wrote:

> Just started working on comet which is mounted on space ship stand
(from
> non GZG company) which I plan to put cotton on to simulate the tail.
It
> is not
> yet finished so no comments.

This should be pretty cool - you can stiffen cotton wool with spray glue
or thinned white glue. (Hair spray works too - borrow your significant
others, or buy some cheap stuff... )

> I have purchased styrofoam balls to simulate planets but I have only
got
> to the
> point of painting. I'm testing to see what I can use to paint them. Do

> not use fixitive
> as a base coat as it tends to desolve styrofoam but dullcoat seems to
> work OK.

See: http://wind.prohosting.com/~warbard/ftgallery.html

The first three pics are the two planets I made a couple of years ago,
one
'Earth' and one 'Mars', each from half of a six-inch foam ball. I used
plaster to seal the surface, sanding it smooth on the 'Earth' and
leaving
it rough and textured on 'Mars'.

Earth is just painted with the same cheap hobby paints I use for all my
scenery - water first, then continents, then the clouds over. Mars was
stained with several coats of Burnt Umber ink, and the polar cap is just
white paint.

Both of them have gotten a bit banged up, with being transported to
games
and back over the last couple of years... I'm going to have to redo my
planets sometime. They look pretty cool, though.

Brian - yh728@victoria.tc.ca -

Prev: RE: [SG] Game Pictures and sort of AAR Next: Re: SF Sniper rifle