Prev: Re: New GZG Photo Gallery Next: Re: [SG/DS] Unit Size Definitions

Re: Hard targets

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 13:44:18 -0400
Subject: Re: Hard targets

At 2:13 PM +0200 7/8/02, KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de wrote:
>Here's a tank picture gallery with a difference:
>
>http://mitglied.lycos.de/hartziel/
>
>Tanks used as targets on German shooting ranges. If you are thinking
>about modelling a tank destroyed by enemy fire, here's your
>inspiration. Types range from WWII to modern Soviet and BW equipment.

Small difference. Tanks that were in operation (vs empty hulks on a
range) have fuel, ammo and other combustibles within them. They very
often burn/brew up when struck by fire. From what I've heard of tanks
in DS that had ammo stored in the floor area (ie the Russian Made
tanks) the turrets tended to blow off of the chassis of the tank.
Modeling a hull with a turret sitting about 50 scale feet away would
be more correct, especially if the turret is upside down. Otherwise a
turret that is blackened around the engine compartment, turret ring
and hatches would also make sense.

A better source for examples would be pictorial archives of WWII
tanks destroyed, Arab Israeli war footage or Desert Storm footage.
- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: New GZG Photo Gallery Next: Re: [SG/DS] Unit Size Definitions