Prev: Re: [SG] Buildings Next: Re: [SG] Buildings

[SG/DS] Unit Size Definitions

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 09:04:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [SG/DS] Unit Size Definitions

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/army/unit/index.html

OK, there have been occasional discussions of
exactally what is meant by all these various
organizational terms that get thrown around (honestly,
how many non-military people here know the difference
between an Engineer Group and an Engineer Brigade?)
and I finally found a place that breaks down in
layman's terms exactally what the US Army means by
each of these.

Major differences among our allies:  French call a
battalion a regiment.  Their divisions are oversized
brigades.

The Commonwealth moves all terms for cavalry/armor
units down one level from us, so that a battalion is
called a regiment, a company is called a squadron, and
a platoon is called a troop.

For such an incredible bunch of _weenies_ the FAS has
one of the most useful websites on the internet for
wargamers.

John

Prev: Re: [SG] Buildings Next: Re: [SG] Buildings