Prev: Re: [Campaign] Criteria Next: Re: [Campaign] Criteria

Assaulting an IP Unit

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 13:39:09 -0400
Subject: Assaulting an IP Unit

1. IP is easily assessible. Rationale: I can see the
chit placed on the table. ;)

Okay, I admit whether my guys can see this or
not is questionable, but I actually think you can
tell the difference between people down and in
position and people moving, milling about,
doing something else, etc.

2. Whether IP should or should not offer a
benefit (as Allan and Beth mention) when hard
cover does not (IIRC) is irrelevant. In the rules,
it does offer a benefit for the first round of
Close Assault . If needed, I can hunt up the
specific textual referents.

3. Laserlight, I see your point. I assume your
default CA is versus a non dug-in foe. You are
suggesting it should be versus a dug in foe.
Both are valid. All I'm suggesting is I've seen
some close assaults I didn't think anyone would
make (five guys getting up to charge a trench
line 100m away with 2 x HMG, and 2 rifle
squads ready to shoot).

There are a lot of vagarities in CA. For example,
there is an odds modifier for CA. But is it really
sensible to do this by squad? What if I'm doing
a joint close assault of (to be ludicrous) 6 4-
man squads... versus one 8 man squad. Looks
like (for each test, x 6) I'm attacking at 1-2
odds. But in reality, I'm attacking at 3-1 in
favour.

Another case: I close assault a unit within range
that I know is there, but they haven't spotted
me. The terrain is woods. The first time they see
me is when I'm hitting them. (What did we rule?
No test for defender to stand - it was automatic
as they had no warning).

What about hard or soft cover? What about
attacking units in the flank or rear or that were
unaware?

Stargrunt CA rules are very light on detailed
resolution. A lot of people think of IP different
ways. A lot of people think of CA as HTH, even
though that is extremely unlikely - gunfire at 10-
30m is most likely, as is extensive use of hand
grenades. Many situations are not covered.
Some people prefer simplicity to creeping
elegance. Some people prefer a more realistic
feel to speed. No one interpretation will be
correct and most will spark "discussions".
I haven't even mentioned the multiple-follow-
through and fleeing issues.

T.

Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: Re: [Campaign] Criteria Next: Re: [Campaign] Criteria