Prev: Re: [Campaign] Drawing Hexes Next: Assaulting an IP Unit

Re: [Campaign] Criteria

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 12:41:51 -0400
Subject: Re: [Campaign] Criteria

JohnA said:
> And therein lies the rub.  Design a campaign system
> where tiny frontier colonies can build battleships and
> it won't work for my vision of the GZGverse, where the
> PAU can barely manage any capital ship construction
> (states in corrected FB that the heart of their
> battleline is 5 BDNs purchased from ESU) never mind
> Planet Podunk.

John, nothing is keeping you from designing a strategic (or
operational, or grand strategic) campaign with reasonable assumptions.
I agree that the non-Canon powers have a remarkable tendency to
inflated the size of their fleets, but how about give us an example of
the way it should be done?

> Laserlight's IFed has such limited shipbuilding
> capabilities that they pretty much make nothing but a
> handful of large drives with a tiny crew cabin
> strapped on, then dock a pack of destroyers and
> cruisers to 'em and call that a squadron.

Not exactly--shipyard capacity is okay, it's FTL drives (and
maintenance, techs, etc) that are in short supply.  As far as the
"nothing but"...
http://home.quixnet.net/~deboe/gzg/if/ifships.htm has a couple of
other ships listed which don't exactly fit your description.  I
imagine the NRE intelligence office just overlooked the SDNs... <g>

A couple caveats about that site, BTW--a) at least one design is
slightly off (1 mass too much IIRC); and b) in the next three weeks
I'm going to rebuild the site.	(No really, I am...I mean it this

Prev: Re: [Campaign] Drawing Hexes Next: Assaulting an IP Unit