Prev: Re: [Campaign] Criteria Next: Re: [Campaign] Criteria

Re: [Campaign] Criteria

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 10:50:06 -0400
Subject: Re: [Campaign] Criteria

> > Movement of armies/fleets could be made on a simple
> > square grid, with major features, ect. (the strategic map)
>
> For ground campaigns, I don't like a square grid, even if it's easy to
> draw.
>
> More precisely, I don't like the way most games handle movement on a
> square grid. Either no diagonal movement is allowed or diagonal
> movement is allowed, but costs the same as straight movement. Both
> distort significantly the distance/time a unit needs to move
> diagonally.
>
> A fairly simple solution is to reckon movement in movement points in
> the following fashion: A move across an edge costs two points, a
> diagonal one three points. This is a reasonable approximation to the
> relative costs of the same movement on a grid-free map ( 2/3 = 1.5
> compared to the accurate SQRT(2) = 1.41... ).

Or just use 1 point for moving across an edge, and 1.5 points for moving
diagonally.  This was done in several vintage wargames from the 60's
that I
used to play years ago.

> Of course, for interstellar space, you can PSB any mode of FTL travel
> calculation.

You can't beat cubes for space.  I built a method based on hexagonal
close
packed lattice structures, but it was much more trouble then the sqrt(
x^2 +
y^2 + z^2 ).

Prev: Re: [Campaign] Criteria Next: Re: [Campaign] Criteria