Prev: RE: Re: Mission Creep - Was Re: The new US Army APC the Stinger Next: Re: 50 Cal

RE: Mission Creep - Was Re: The new US Army APC the Stinger

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 10:03:34 -0600
Subject: RE: Mission Creep - Was Re: The new US Army APC the Stinger

But the problem with mission creep is that the final design is more/less
than the original required - i.e. Bradley with bolt on armor, Paladin
reduced in size to be airliftable, Joint Strike Fighter needed to be
carrier adaptable (requiring a more robust landing gear and airframe for
rougher landings and arrester gear that is not rquired for the Air Force
operating from airfields.

Plus not every project suffers from creep, some actually stick to their
original requirements or close to it.  I think the HumVee is a good
example, it was designed as a general utility vehicle and fills that
role well without a bunch of extra doodads standard.  Perhaps a better
number might be percentile dice plus 100 as the final percentage cost
for the project.

--Binhan