Prev: Re: [OT] Linking Ammo Next: Distilled Water Found!

Re: [SG2] Assaulting from IP

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 10:18:55 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG2] Assaulting from IP

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 10:58:29 -0400, "Laserlight"
<laserlight@quixnet.net>
wrote:

>That didn't occur to me--I figure if they can see to shoot, they can
>see to know where to charge.  I did it "charge test", then "leave-IP
>test" because I figured they'd have to pass the charge test to have a
>reason to leave IP.

That's a good point. I always figured the "test to charge into close
assault"
and the "test to leave IP" were morale based. The squad members have to
test
before they charge up to the enemy, and they have to test before they
stick
their heads up out of the only really good cover they have.

If that's the case, it seems weird that a squad can pass the morale test
charge the enemy but can't pass the morale test to jump up from behind a
log.
The morale test for charging the enemy seems to be the "nastier" of the
two.

This suggests that only one test needs to be passed. A squad could make
one
reaction test and leave IP and charge the enemy. This, in fact, is the
simplest solution. However I suspect you probably agree with me that it
doesn't seem "right" that the squad could leave IP to charge the enemy
with no
penalty. If it's harder to move out of IP normally, it should be harder
charge the enemy when in IP, too. From a game balance issue, this seems
make more sense.

I don't think your way, testing charge first then IP, is wrong. It
certainly
is safer. The cause and effect seems more realistic, too:

- Squad in IP is ordered to charge.
- Squad must make two tests.
- If either test fails, squad remains in IP and doesn't charge.

That seems reasonable enough. My suggestion of testing for IP, then for
charge, seems more "logical" in the order things happen. But the end
result,
now that I've thought of it, sounds _less_ logical:

- Squad in IP is ordered to charge.
- Squad must make two tests.
- Depending on order tests are failed, squad may be in IP and not
charge, or
may be out of IP and not charge.

You'd think if guys weren't going to charge they wouldn't move out of
IP,
either.

I like your order of things due to the end result: test charge first
then IP.
I'd like to hear what others think, and whether a single test with a
TL+1 is a
better move.

http://www.hyperbear.com

unimaginable mortician was revealed!"
 - from the Random H.P. Lovecraft Story Generator:
http://www.darkicon.com/Library/randsent.htm

Prev: Re: [OT] Linking Ammo Next: Distilled Water Found!